Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007 Memories

No, I don't mean that I'm going write about 2007 memories (that would be quite a post!), but I do want to share some of my memories of 2007. This year wasn't a big year for me in terms of running. I did do a lot of running, but after qualifying for Boston in October 2006, I promised my wife (and my body) that I'd take a year off from marathoning and run Boston in 2008. So, I didn't do a whole lot of racing, but I did run enough to stay in pretty good shape, and have some good memories.

I got to participate in a relay race at Rock Canyon Elementary School in Provo, Utah (I worked there last year). It was the teachers versus the 6th graders. I ran the third leg of the 4x100m race, the same leg I ran in high school. That brought back some good memories of my track and field days. And, we kicked the students' trash.

For the past five or six years I've done a fun run 5k in Springville, Utah. It is a huge event, part of a week long summer celebration, complete with HUGE prize drawings (like BBQ's, trampolines, bikes, etc.). My wife has done it with me a couple times, and I've brought my girls along with me last year. This year, we all did it, along with some other family members. And this was to be our year to win something. The only thing we've ever won in the years we've participated was a dirty water bottle and pen that didn't work. This year was no different as we once again went home empty-handed. Oh well, maybe next time.

A couple weeks after that race, we made the big move to Phoenix. I had to get used to running in the crazy heat and the August humidity. I ran a few 5k's after the move and joined a running club. I also got my first coaching job with one of the middle schools in the district where I work. That was a great learning experience. I am looking forward to coaching the track team in 2008.

So, even though my running wasn't as intense as other years, I still had some great memories. I am looking forward to 2008 and the awesome experiences to come. I hope you all have a happy and successful new year.

P.S. I've added a few "running partners" (blogs I read regularly) on the right. I hope that's alright with everybody. I'd like to add more, so if you're not on my list and think you ought to be, let me know, and I'll gladly add you. It's been great running with all my new RBF's this year.

No comments: