Thursday, March 20, 2008

Monkey see, monkey do

Doug did it about a month ago (2 sub-6 minute miles during a run). Nic attempted it a couple days later (managed a 6:12 as part of an 8 mile run). Both of theses are awesome achievements! As I often look up to these guys for inspiration an motivation, I've had those times on my mind on many a run since then. I hadn't attempted it though due to pesky injuries... That is until today. I set out for a 5 mile tempo run. Here are the numbers:

Mile 1 - 6:35
Mile 2 - 6:39
Mile 3 - 6:33
Mile 4 - 6:38
Mile 5 - 6:02

Oh so close! I was definitely feeling it at the start of the last mile, but towards the end I was able to find some reserves and ended up surprising myself. This was definitely one of those "confidence building exercises" Doug was talking about. I've had a couple of those this week. It sure feels great to be moving again! And feeling good doing it!

3 comments:

Doug said...

Nice job Reid!

I, too, posted a 6:02 just a week or two before I pulled it off. You'll get it. It's right around the corner.

Trail Running said...

you practically hit it already, you'll get it next time and make it official. good job.

Shilingi-Moja said...

Nice. 6:02 on mile 5. You'll get the sub-6 in no time. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the encouragement on my tempo run. My times aren't where yours are, but neither are my years. :)