Tuesday, June 10, 2008

24, the Art City, and a little rain

We have been visiting Lani's family for the last few days, and her brother introduced us to the show 24. If you've not seen it before, DO NOT START! Especially late in the evening, and especially not before a race. It's so addictive that we just couldn't stop. Thursday night we stayed up pretty late, but Friday night we stayed up so late that by the time we went to bed, we had less than 3 hours before we had to get up to go run the Art City Days 5k. We woke up from our nap to pouring rain (something we've never seen in the 6 years of us doing this race). Luckily, it had slowed to a sprinkle by the time we got to the start.

Even though it was kind of a miserable morning, we had fun run. I was a happy to oblige when Lani asked me to run it with her rather than run on my own. I knew I wouldn't be able to run the race I wanted under the circumstances (minimal sleep, the rain, and the much higher elevation than I am used to). It was definitely much more satisfying running with Lani and pacing her to a new PR. Her previous best was about 33 minutes. Today she ran it under 29! I'm so proud of her. It is so cool to see how much she is progressing and enjoying running. We have a 10k coming up in a little less than a month, so we'll see how that one goes.

3 comments:

Topher said...

Way to go Lani!

We had a similar experience with starting to watch LOST. We picked up the first disk of season 3, then spent the next two weeks going back to season 1 and 2 and staying up way late every night because we could say "just one more episode"

Nitmos said...

Nice PR for Lani!

also, way to throw the intimidation factor out there by sporting the Boston jacket in the race. Nothing says "I could really kick your butt if I wanted to" than that. ;)

Laura said...

I have friends who don't watch any of 24 until it comes out on DVD... and then they watch the entire thing in one sitting. CRAZY.