Tuesday, February 10, 2009

911. What's your emergency?

I'm sitting here with ice on my knee wondering what is going on. I originally hurt it back in October and took a couple months off, only running a few times. In the middle of December, I started running again without any problem, and was pleased to see that I hadn't lost much fitness. Things were going really well until a couple weekends ago when my knee started hurting again. I took the next week off and ran the following weekend. It felt ok on that run, but I wanted to keep playing it safe, so I didn't run again until last night. About 3 miles into the run, I started to feel it again. I made it home after walking and stretching a for a minute. I was able to pinpoint the pain just below the knee towards the outside. I'm starting to think it might be a stress fracture, but I'm not sure. Whatever it is, I think I need to do what I should probably have done a long time ago--find a doctor. Does anyone know how to find a good doctor knowledgeable in running injuries or is a runner him/herself? I really just want to get this taken care of. Thanks for your tips!

5 comments:

Vincent said...

what city are you in? I've gotten to know a few physio's over the years

Pat said...

I wish I could help. I knew a nurse practiciner (sp?) that was a runner, but she left that office.

Lisa (javamom)may know someone in the east valley.

Vincent said...

Sorry man, no luck there. I've a friend who used to train there a lot, I'll ask him

Vava said...

Sorry Reid, I can offer no suggestions from Toronto on suitable doctors in your neck of the woods. I sympathize with you though since I went through a similar thing with my ankle. I ended up going through multiple so called "expert" doctors and physios before finally finding one that was actually good. I hope you hit it right the first time and get to the bottom of it.

One last thing: with all my running ailments it always seems to go back to weak hip flexors. Maybe that's all it is in your case? I hope it is not a stress fracture.

Run For Life said...

If there's a university near you try looking up if they have a sports clinic on campus. I find the physio is usually geared to athletes (as opposed to geriatric care.) Also, if you call and ask them if they could recommended you to a sports injury doctor I'm sure they'd give you a couple of names.