Thursday, April 17, 2008

Anybody else getting nervous?

Last night I had a hard time going to sleep because I was starting to feel nervous. I feel like this is my first marathon. It's been a year and half since I qualified to run Boston, and I haven't run a marathon since. Maybe it's due to the fact that this race is across the country and the entire trip is an adventure. Maybe it's the excitement of "Boston." Maybe it's because I've had to deal with injuries this time around. I don't know, but I'm a little nervous. But definitely excited! It's going to be a fun (but rushed trip).

We are flying out Friday night on a red-eye. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep on the plane. Lani and I plan to jog the Freedom Trail in Boston Saturday morning and get a little sightseeing in along the way. After that, we'll meet up with some of Lani's high school friends and check out the sights in the town where she used to live. Then, we'll get a bite to eat with them and hang out.

On Sunday, we'll go to church where Lani went when she lived there, and spend the day with some folks she knew back then. I'd love to check out the Olympic Trials in the morning, but I don't think there'll be enough time. Later on, we'll head over to the expo, pick up my bib, etc. and eat at the pre-race pasta dinner. After that, we'll head back to the hotel and try to get a good night's sleep.

Race day, I'll catch the bus to the start and run like I've never run before! Lani plans to look for me at about the half-way point and then meet me at the finish. I'll get my stuff, stop by one of Lani's friends' and take a shower and then get to the airport. Whew!

If you'd like to track my progress on race day, just type in my number (#5096) on the Boston Marathon website. You can also watch the race online.

I've become a little obsessed with thinking about the race tonight. Here is a video tour of the course:

And here is a Google map of the course I came up with (it's not exact due to the one-way roads near the finish, but it's still pretty close, and you can zoom in really close):
View Larger Map

1 comment:

Tri+Umph said...

Good luck Reid, you'll probably hear me cheering from Kentucky (Well, except when you're going by Wellesley, I hear it gets loud)!

Game plan looks good, but I somehow doubt your ability to sleep the night before, I never can.

Don't forget to enjoy yourself out there!