Saturday, September 6, 2008

Oh my goodness...

After my last 1 mile attempt 2 weeks ago, I was bound and determined to reach my goal for this virtual race. Each workout over the last 2 weeks has been on the track, and each one was better than the previous one. From these workouts, I gained so much confidence for this attempt at the 5 minute mile. Add to this the incredible support I have received from all of you, there was no way I couldn't do it! Today was going to be the day.

Just after 7:00 AM, I headed over to the track with Lani and the girls for the big event. It was nice to have some company on my warm-up in the form of three beautiful girls. After my regular mile warm-up jog and some stretching, I headed to the starting line. I felt a little awkward with my own personal cheering section, but once I got started, it was all business.

I started out a little faster than planned (what's new?). My quarter mile split was a little faster than usual at 1:09. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep that pace up, but I couldn't afford slowing too much. Lap 2 flew by with a split of 1:17, putting me at 2:26 at the half (this was faster than I have been able to do any of my 800m repeats). With that time, I knew I was in a good position at this point. My third lap was a little slower, with a split of 1:20, but my total time was 3:46. All I had to do for the last lap was a 1:14 or better, and I have been able to do that in all of my recent attempts. However, I have never been anywhere near 3:46 after 1200m. I started picking up the pace, but with each step it became harder and harder to maintain. With a half a lap to go, I was still right on schedule. It was going to be close. I started my final kick and with 100m to go, I was sprinting all out. I could see my family at the finish cheering and ready for a picture. All I could think about was getting to that line. I stopped my watch as I crossed the finish and slowly looked down...











4:59.95!

Almost collapsing to the track, all I could do was smile at Lani and say, "I did it!" [After which he proceeded to throw his long, glistening arms around me for a victory embrace. It was the sweatiest, most marvelous hug I've ever received! -Lani]

I did it. It feels so incredible to have reached this goal. Oh my goodness, it was so hard. It took so much hard work, and focus, and dedication, but I did it! I love seeing that "4" as the first digit. But more than that, I feel so blessed and honored to have so many of you pulling for me and supporting me in this crazy goal. It has been so cool to see and read about your experiences and your commitment and your goals. So, thank you! We did it!

iMovie created by Lani for this historic day...

42 comments:

Michelle said...

Reid, dude i am ecstatically happy for you!!! When i came to your blog and read this post i knew in my heart you did it!! How fitting is it that you did it on the virtual mile race day????

WOOHOO!!!

Michelle

Running Ragged said...

That is AWESOME...congratulations on your sub 5 minute miler. You Rock!

You are an inspiration. I will never be as fast as you, but you made me go out there and give it a shot. I ran a 9:09 and I am happy with it. Thank you.

Great video. Loved the pancakes!

Liz Johnson said...

CONGRATULATIONS REID!!!

Kristina said...

Way to go! I wanted to participate in your race but was laying off speedwork this week for a race. Congratulations! I hope you live it up tonight...

Topher said...

Way to go!!!

kara said...

The movie was inspiring! WTG Reid - we knew you could do it.

ShoreTurtle said...

Great job!

The video is very cool.

C said...

WOOO HOOOOO! Congratulations! That is a fabulous video too. What a great cheering section you have.

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Awesome job, congrats! I'm so happy for you!

I'm going to have to give my race a shot tomorrow since we were waiting out Tropical Storm Hanna today. Just a bunch of rain, but it kept me inside!

Laura said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!

And your video made me get all teary-eyed :)

Wendy said...

Congratulations Reid!!

The Fifes said...

congratulations, reid! We're so proud of you!!!! I loved the commentary-- felt like i was right there.

Anonymous said...

Your post is cool for so many reasons!
Congrats!
You had your own support and media section; the video is awesome.
Your accomplishments are really inspiring to everyone that is setting goals and trying to make them happen.

Meg said...

I've heard a lot about your 1 mile challenge on other blogs. Congratulations!

Felice Devine said...

Congratulations!!!

I just have to add that I think it is so special that your wife and girls were there with you, supporting you. It is wonderful that your daughters experienced you going after a goal and achieving it -- and having them and your wife there with you shows that they were part of what got you across the line in under 5. So very cool.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! That is so awesome!

Way faster than my attempt - 7:45.

Way to go!

Marcy said...

AWESOME HOMIE!!! Holy Mother that is wonderful! CONGRATS!!

Anonymous said...

FANtastic! Great effort Reid - very inspirational....

--Steve

PS What next?

Dane said...

Reid,

I hope you take time to relish in all the hard work that went into achieving this goal. A heartfelt congrats goes to you and here's to many more goals falling by the wayside.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Well done Reid! You rock!

Marlene said...

CONGRATULATION REID!!!! I got gossebumps reading your post.

YOU DID IT!!

I promise to get my virtual mile report up soon, and although it won't be much, I was thinking of you yesterday.

Linden said...

WAY TO GO!!! You set a goal and the worked hard to achieve and YOU DID! What an inspiration!

I got teary-eyed reading your description of your mile. (A little weird, I know. But I also got teary eyed watching the Olympic marathons. I think I'm emotional right now because I'm about 2 1/2 weeks away from running my first marathon, something that has been a goal of mine for a long time. :) )

Nancy said...

Nice work, Reid!!! I was thinking about you at the track today and wondering how fast you must look. I didn't quite make 10:00 - I did a 10:07 but had run a little beforehand and also FELL down on the track!! My husband said, "you fell AT a track?" HA HA. Well, it isn't quite a dog bite but figured I had to pick up the drama slack for ya. I took one kiddo with me and he is amazingly proud that he made it once around on his big wheel while I was doing the mile. So glad you had the family there to celebrate with you!! I knew you could do this.

Thanks for the challenge and for getting me out there! Congrats!!

USJogger said...

Great job! You smashed the five minute barrier. Going to go for four, now?

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! You did it! Congrats... I can't even fathom a 5-minute mile. You are my new idol.

Marci said...

Wow! You are an inspiration! What a sweet video your wife made, it made me teary-eyed!

L*I*S*A said...

Big congrats to you, Reid. You did it!!!! Love the video, too.

MissAllycat said...

CONGRATS!! You are a rock star!!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

OK, got my race in today. No records for me, but that's OK. You still made me run faster than I would have on my own! 8:35.

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

What an awesome mile run, post, and video!

Reid, you're a great role model for running, humility, and the way you celebrate with your family!

I could feel your success in the air all the way here in Iowa!

Thanks for letting us share the excitement with you!

Fig said...

Way to go, Reid! You're an inspiration.

Vava said...

WOW! That's all there is to say! WOW! I'm sure you now can tell us how Roger Bannister felt when he first saw that "3" at the beginning of his mile time! Going under 5 minutes definitely makes you a great athlete for is requires many years of dedication, lots of smarts, and a tonne of heart. Well done!

Razz said...

Wow. I mean, just wow. Nice job!

Nitmos said...

Way to run your own Perfect Mile. Now that your beat 5 minutes, I wonder, can you beat 4:50???? ;)

Pat said...

That's your own Roger Bannister moment. Congrats! I hope you celebrated.

J~Mom said...

Congratulations!!! Just amazing!!

Beth Roy said...

Woo Hoo! Congratulations - you must feel great! I thought about you on my shall we say slower version. So happy for you.

FLYERS26 said...

Great job!
Nice video!
Continued sucess.

SuperDave said...

Smokin Man!!
Now you can say, " I run a sub 5!"

Jess said...

CONGRATS!!!!! That rocks! Way to break 5!

Reid said...

Awesome job! Crazy that you went that fast all by yourself without a pacer or other runners on the track. Congrats! Can't wait to follow along on your blog to your next goal.

Run For Life said...

I know I'm late but CONGRATS!! Lani also did a great job with the report movie :)